Guided Tour of Extreme Ancestry
My name is Karen Batchelor and I’m a hunter – a hunter of ancestors, that is. For almost 40 years, I’ve been on the prowl for family members, sometimes long-dead, often forgotten, frequently elusive and almost always interesting, even if only to me!
I started doing genealogy in 1976 as the result of a New Year’s resolution. It was the bi-centennial year when I was also a new mom and feeling the need to connect with my family history in a deeper way. A phone conversation with my Great-Aunt Clara (who was 81 years old at the time) got me going. And I’ve been climbing around the branches of my family tree ever since -
Because I started doing genealogy before computers and the almighty Internet, I learned how to do genealogy through traditional methodology. Within 10 months, my new-found skills led me to a big surprise – an ancestor who fought during the American Revolution! That discovery led to my becoming the first acknowledged Black member of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1977. You just never know where genealogy will lead you.
Over the last almost 40 years, I’ve discovered Puritans, pioneers and patriots, slaves and slaveowners and a host of other people in my family history who I now affectionately refer to as my
And hence, the name for this blog where I write about:
- The “Extremes” on my family tree
- My ongoing research
- What I’ve learned along the way about my ancestors, the people they were and the lives they led,
- And most importantly – the stories that connect me forever to family who may seem distant in time, but who will always be mine.
That’s the skinny on Extreme Ancestry and the lifelong genealogist who hangs out here. As you navigate around the site, here are a few landmarks to note -
1. My more official-looking bio.
2. My comment policy – and I hope if something moves you, that you’ll share your feedback with me and other readers.
3. Some legal mumbo-jumbo about disclosures, disclaimers and copyrights.
4. Extreme Ancestry will show up just fine on your mobile devices like smartphones and iPad.
5. Want to get in touch? You can reach me on -Facebook Twitter About.me
And by emailing directly at email@example.com or using the form below.
Thanks for stopping by to visit.